A.G. Metals’ Golden Rules for Investing in Precious Metals Coins & Bars
Investing in Precious Metals has many advantages & also some risks. Once you have made the decision to invest, you may consider our guidelines:
- Unless you are an experienced investor, do not invest in platinum & palladium. They are less tradable. As a consequence, the premium* on buying & selling is much higher.
- Prefer bars over coins, as the premium above the intrinsic value is lower.
- Prefer small bars. They are more tradable and allow more flexibility of sale volume. It is harder to counterfeit small bars and coins.
- Make sure you buy from a known respectable dealer. For private investors (not commercial) – do not buy coins or bullions with VAT, as you will not get it back when selling.
In case there is VAT on bars & coins in your country, there are two options:
- Buy and store in a country where the law does not require the collection of VAT
for precious metals bullions (UK, USA). Not all bullions fall under the “VAT free” categories. This might relate to weight & country of origin of the bullion (bar or coin).
- Buy digital tokens backed by gold or silver.
* Good premium on Gold would be 4-5% above spot.
Good premium on Platinum and Palladium would be 8-9% above spot.
Disclaimer: A.G. Metals is not a registered investment, legal or tax advisor or a broker / dealer. All investment / financial opinions expressed by A.G. Metals are from the personal research and experience of the owner of the site and are intended as educational material. Although best efforts are made to ensure that all information is accurate and up to date, occasionally unintended errors and misprints may occur.